Origami Cupcake

Onsen: Work in Progress 3

News, Works in Progress

No Comments


Share this post

Edit: This work has been completed under the name Kitsune.

For my new work I’m giving you a glimpse behind the scenes at the way I work, step by step.
Here’s links if you’re interested in the whole process: Work in Progress OneTwoThreeFourFive and Six.

At this stage I’m inking the work, turning my rough scribbles into clean linework.

You can check out more of my work in progress here.

 I begin with the figure. I have a rough outline of my reference, which I redraw as neatly as possible using the paintbrush tool. It’s set to be pressure sensitive, which helps me to add stress at the right places. I then go back over what I’ve drawn and manipulate the anchor points to fix any mistakes.

The final step to get everything really neat is to outline the strokes and make any final adjustments to the paths. To help keep track of which areas I’ve worked on and which I haven’t, I change the colour of the linework to a bright colour, and change it back to black as I complete each area.

Here’s the result:

For the background I’m using a reference image as my starting point. Because this interior has very straight lines I decided not to draw it freehand and used the line segment tool instead. Circles for the bathtub were drawn with the ellipse tool, although I made sure to distort it so that the side closest to the viewer was wider. To add some detail the bath tub is given paneling to make it look more realistic. I made a lot of vertical lines and used align to group the bottom points to create a vanishing point outside the artboard. I then selected the top points and used align to distribute the top points evenly. I then made a copy of these lines to use for the back of the tub:

But to make the panelling more realistic I have to draw the lines across the top to the tub too. I connect the lines on the opposite sides of the tub to make sure the lines go in the right direction:

I continue with drawing in more of the background. Most details are based on my reference so I didn’t have to worry too much about things like the placement of the pillar. To help create some depth I add beams jutting out the roof outside. To get the perspective right I follow a similar process as I did with the tub, using align to get everything neat.

The next step actually took quite a while. I need to get rid of all the extended lines to create a nice clean image. But to stop it from looking too harsh I used the settings for variable width profile to made the lines taper away. This gives the lines a bit of stress and makes them look less rigid. At the same time I also adjusted to stoke width here and there to add emphasis:

The result looking at both layers:

0 Responses to this post
Add your comment